Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Antlers Has Inspired Me

There's a lot of buzz in the ether about "going green" lately. Oprah did a show on it and showed it twice in the span of a few months. I happened to catch it both times and, both times I found it very interesting.The first time I watched, I accepted the show's challenge to change just one thing that I do to make an environmental impact. That day, I started turning off the water while I brush my teeth (Which saves 4 gallons a minute. That's 200 gallons a week for a family of four.) This time, I feel ready to make a couple of more changes.

It is easy to get overwhelmed because there are a lot of statistics out there about how much water and energy it takes to make this or that and about how petroleum (i.e. oil and fossil fuels) is burned for the energy to make packaging for products like liquid body wash. That tears it! I'm switching to bar soap in my shower. It's kind of exciting because now I can shop for fancy bars of soap and display them in my bathroom (if I can find space). I like these at Etsy from Dennis Anderson. I would also like to try switching to eco-friendly grocery bags. Up until now, I've been getting plastic bags at the store and saving them (in empty Kleenex boxes - thanks to Amanda) to use as waste basket liners. You can get a whole grocery shopping set for under sixty dollars at Eco Bags. Even though it's just a small start, I feel like I'm really making a difference. The Antlers is up for a Green Business of the Year Award right now, too! Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great post! I just switched to reusable grocery bags (and was pleasantly surprised to learn that King Soopers gives a 5 cent rebate per bag used); now I'll try the toothbrushing trick!