Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ski lay-off....Too Long...

NEWS ALERT! UPDATE! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST! STAY TUNED!
SKI LAY-OFF WAS TOO LONG

Greg Z. went skiing on Friday for the first time in 8 years. It seems he has struggled with fear, bad memories, no interest, and several other things related to psychological barriers that only Doctor Phil could begin to address. When asked why the sudden change of heart, his response was only "I live here and it's a long time before the golf courses are playable again".

We did a little research on this Antlers employee and found that the he raised 3 children and taught them all how to ski. "I spent a lot of time in the parking lots looking for gloves, putting on boots, and drying tears before an exhilarating day on the cat walks. This was part of the bad memories", he explained. He continued, "when they all got better, I couldn't keep up and I just ended up being brought down on a stretcher. This resulted in my fear. I didn't want any more re-hab in my life. I convinced myself that I had no interest in the sport and my ability was not that of all the legendary skiers in this valley anyway".

He had so much fun on Friday that he went out again for a few hours on Saturday and that his outlook has changed about everything. "I'm back baby! This is fun. There is something for everyone up there. As soon as these legs get back in shape, I' m going to ski with the kids again, but not until they put my boots on and make sure I'm warm enough".

We asked Greg what he enjoyed most about his re-discovered passion and his simple reply was "The views". I had forgotten how beautiful it is".

Any advice for the person that may be thinking as you did? "Get over it. Get up there and dance like no one is watching". He added, "don't push yourself, ski to your own ability, and stop every once in awhile to take in all that's around you".

He told us as he was headed to the hot tub with a cocktail that "I deserve this tub. My legs are burning, I'm exhausted, and it feels great. I never feel like this after a lousy game of golf."

4 comments:

Vailmama said...

Great post, Greg! I especially enjoyed the third person perspective in the narration. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Great Greg! We should all "dance like no can see us," one of my favorite sayings besides the fact I do dance when no one is watching!

Enjoy the view for all of us stuck in the plains states. I miss the moutains and skiing very much.

Not to be for me this year because of a broken wrist, but next year I'll certainly dance, stop while skiing and gaze at the spectacular view.

I'm proud of you for "getting back up on that horse." However, golf sounds appealing too!

Lillian

Anonymous said...

Dancing, golfing on a beautiful day, or a winter picnic at dusk. It's what is in your heart, and living life, that makes every view spectacular! I feel your pain about skiing!!

Anonymous said...

"Every day is a good day and we take the best from it and smile."
"Vail Buddy"

Occasionally I create some good thoughts for others and myself. This is a delayed thought from when this was posted but I wanted to share as I read this because your new "adventure" back to skiing certainly must make you smile! My last smile with skiing was two years ago this last week. I still smile and cherish the thought of that week and will forever until new adventures are created on the slopes or slopeside.

Create many moments that make you smile Greg, every day!